Manager, Game Design & Narrative - Walt Disney Games
Company: Parks, Experiences and Products
Posted on: May 15, 2022
The Manager, Game Design is responsible for providing creative
leadership, guidance and support to enhance and improve the
player's experience across multiple Walt Disney Games products
ensuring we're delivering the highest quality and most enjoyable
authentic experiences that will resonate with our fans and
audiences in this highly competitive gaming marketplace.
The Manager, Game Design will establish game design and narrative
best practices and brand guidelines to be shared with our licensing
partners and teams across multiple franchises. They will manage a
team of game designers and writers that support various products
across Walt Disney Games. They provide editorial direction and
feedback on game proposals, story documents and builds. They help
conceive, develop and communicate creative possibilities for games
based on upcoming and existing Disney, Pixar, and Avatar IP by
encouraging creative exploration of our characters and worlds while
retaining their authenticity and appeal.
This Creative Leader works with both internal and external teams to
conceive, develop and present game design and narrative approaches
for products of all genres and platforms. They will collaborate
with multiple divisions across Walt Disney Games including studio
franchise, production and business development to actively deliver
against our goals and priorities. They'll assist in creating new
business opportunities, properly support our titles, guarantee our
gameplay and narrative experiences are high-quality and authentic,
and effectively build strong partnership with various teams to
advance the development and expansion of our products.
This role will act as Creative Game Design Ambassador that promotes
gaming best practices and supports creative efforts across Walt
Disney Games but that can also be leveraged by the larger CPGP and
- Provide game design direction, guidance and support for all
Walt Disney Games to deliver a high level of execution while
meeting our brand requirements.
- Establish and articulate game design and narrative best
practices, processes and procedures to be utilized during
- Provide editorial review for both internal and external game
concepts, providing actionable feedback on game design and creative
content; identify potential areas of risk affecting product quality
- Provide brand guidance to licensing partners balancing the
needs of the game with the authenticity of Disney characters and
- Analyze existing and upcoming Disney, Pixar, Avatar franchises
to identify key brand pillars and gameable moments.
- Act as a Creative Liaison for all game design support and
concerns for Walt Disney Games.
- Manage a team of Game and Narrative Designers; build up their
skillsets, mentor talent and provide opportunities for growth.
- Deep dive into core game mechanics and game play loops, and
communicate these systems in both written and verbal form,
including the ability to provide detailed reviews of Game Design
- Share brand knowledge and best practices with licensees to
boost and bridge each group's expertise across genre and
- Construct creative presentations that excite and energize new
licensees and help drive new game opportunities for our
- Support both internal and external creative teams with brand
understanding and diverse representation in the overall product
- Partner with Production to facilitate and organize playtests
for specific games, gathering data and sharing out key
- Organize Build Reviews; generate thoughtful, appropriate and
- Champion our brands and games through conferences, townhalls,
greenlight meetings and peer-to-peer settings; share creative
endeavors across Walt Disney Games and larger CPGP and DPEP.
- Stay informed regarding latest gaming trends; share insights
and findings with larger creative and production teams.
- Leverage data and consumer insights when appropriate, to inform
and enhance key creative decision making.
- Partner with Franchise and Studio to ensure our characters and
worlds are authentically represented through character abilities,
dialog and story.
Basic Qualifications :
- 7+ years experiences total, including 2 years managing
- Exceptional game design and narrative skills, experience
working with world-class brands.
- Experience working in a creative leadership capacity within
- Extensive game development knowledge across multiple genres and
- Excellent understanding of our games licensing business
including trade-offs and production challenges.
- Ability to achieve consensus balancing the needs of the
developer, production and brand stakeholders; experience working
with both domestic and international dev teams.
- Adept at problem-solving (both alone and in groups) with the
ability to foresee and highlight challenges and provide effective
and achievable mitigation efforts.
- Experience operating in a matrix environment with multiple
points of contacts; ability to reconcile conflicting information or
- Highly organized with the ability to manage multiple complex
projects simultaneously and meet deadlines consistently.
- Exceptional attention to detail with a clear understanding of
the big picture, always focusing towards quality, authenticity and
the intended audience.
- Experience building and supporting top grossing, critically
acclaimed, or AAA budgeted games.
Additional Information :
This position is located in Glendale, CA
Benefits and Perks: Disney offers a rewards package to help you
live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits,
educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can
provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at
Keywords: Parks, Experiences and Products, Lynwood , Manager, Game Design & Narrative - Walt Disney Games, Executive , Lynwood, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!