Director, Professional Development and Education
Company: Martin Luther King Jr. Community Hospital
Posted on: September 15, 2023
The individual in this position is responsible for providing
leadership 1) of departmental operations, 2) for educational and
professional development activities for personal across the health
system, 3) providing consistent departmental input, implementation,
and evaluation of all health system educational programs and
initiatives. The Director is expected to develop strategy and
implement tactical plans for achieving the Health system goal of
MAGNET Accreditation. Promote MLKCH as a learning organization and
support affiliation agreements with Academic partners to provide
education from the GED or College prep to doctoral level as needed
to grow the workforce across the health system. Achieve a
standardized competency process across the health system to
quantify learning needs of the health system workforce and evidence
of completed career development activities. Standardize integration
of every role into the health system; this includes those from the
high school, college prep, new graduate or those with advanced
preparation in their role and discipline. Promote career
advancement at MLKCH through a structured Nurse Residency and
Clinical Fellowship program to provide a clinical workforce capable
to care for and manage the health care needs of this community. Has
oversight of academic contracts and works with select academic
programs to facilitate clinical rotations, Preceptorships or
Internships for students
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Introduce teaching and learning best practices to align the
MLKCH Health system's strategic and operational plans using
multi-tiered education or career development strategies.
- Practice benchmarks for those responsible to provide Education
will come from the Association Nursing Professional Development [
ANPD ] and/or Association of Training and Development [ATD ].
- Meet required Accrediting and Regulatory standards for
onboarding personnel and activate a hospital wide competency
assessment process annually.
- The Director consistently seeks to understand the learning
need(s) of employees within our health system group and advocate
for improved work performance through well-designed educational
programs. Additionally, the Director will serve as a career coach
to Department Leadership when learning needs are identified that
stem from lack of accountability within any work setting.
- The Director will uphold design and implementation practices of
the nurse educators, education specialists and liaised trainers
within the health system to: 1) support the annual learning needs
assessment; 2) follow the adopted ADDIE model for program design;
3) utilize at least one of Kirkpatrick's Levels of Evaluation with
every learning activity; 4) annually assess and document on the
Donna Wright Competency Assessment Tool the knowledge or skill for
competency validation identified by the department Manager or
Director; and 5) when requested provide CEU's for a learning
- An Annual calendar Report shall be submitted to the Executive
Sponsor to reflect the Education or Training needs assessed, what
learning activities were provided, the opportunities within patient
care or business practices selected for competency measurement;
capture the perception of the learner's ability to integrate
information from a learning activity into job performance and the
associated costs to the organization for these activities.
- Develops operational plans for the department that contribute
to the Hospital's mission and strategies.
- Routinely evaluates FTE allotment and staff skill mix and plans
for long range staffing onboarding needs.
- Oversees the rental/purchase of supplies and equipment as
appropriate in the education department.
- Develops, revises or reviews all pertinent policies and
procedures. Assist as needed to improve workforce skills to meet
departmental quality benchmarks. Meets human resource policies to
include behavioral interviewing, credentials compliance, orienting,
evaluating, coaching / counseling, disciplining and terminating
- able to have crucial conversations with staff to hold employees
accountable to policy and procedure, professional practice
standards, and behavioral expectations.
- Implements a process to evaluate and improve staff competencies
- Assures that all standards of the California Board of Nursing
are met as a Continuing Education Provider.
- Serves as resource of information for nursing staff concerning
professional practice standards, California Board of Nursing law,
regulations, and opinion statements, and education and management
- Assures that hospital staff educational needs are assessed and
prioritized on an annual basis. Collaborates with Department
Directors and Managers in planning the on-going education of
hospital management and staff.
- Develops and implements innovative staff development programs
to meet the ongoing and future needs of nursing and other ancillary
departments. Assures that nursing research and theory and
evidence-based best practices are incorporated into educational
- Uses innovative and effective teaching strategies to achieve
cognitive and behavioral changes in participants attending
- Ensures that the staff reporting to the Director, Professional
Development and Education utilizes excellent customer service
- Assures that the MLKCH Nursing Model of Care is incorporated in
all educational offerings where appropriate.
- Assures that educational programs support the quality and
performance improvement initiatives of the hospital.
- Prepares monthly statistical reports on the educational
activities of the department.
- Reviews and revises as necessary department safety and disaster
response plan in compliance with the Hospital's plan.
- Participates with hospital and physician leadership in
decision-making and acts as a liaison with other departments as it
relates to ongoing staff development.
- Provides leadership and direction to MLKCH Leadership team to
ensure responsibilities and essential duties are completed
accurately and timely.
- Develops standard operating procedures of Professional
development and Education e to provide instructional step-by-step
clarity for staff on how to implement processes.
- Other duties as assigned. POSITION REQUIREMENTS
- Master's required.
- Doctorate preferred. B. Qualifications/Experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of clinical experience; minimum three
(3) years management experience in an acute hospital's Education
Department or MAGNET credentialing.
- Current California Nursing license
- Certification in Nursing Professional Development/Nursing
Executive/Nursing Management preferred. C. Special Skills/Knowledge
- Bilingual skills preferred (Spanish) Basic computer skills
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS)
Keywords: Martin Luther King Jr. Community Hospital, Lynwood , Director, Professional Development and Education, Education / Teaching , Lynwood, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!